Should you schedule a visual evaluation for your child or yourself? Look at the questions below to learn about common signs and symptoms of a vision problem.
Sometimes there are obvious signs or symptoms like a crossing eye or seeing double vision, but other symptoms can be more masked or hidden. These questions highlight other symptoms that may be related to vision problems. If you or your child experience any of the following symptoms, a binocular vision or eye movement disorder could be interfering with school or work performance. Call us to schedule a vision evaluation.
Reading and Screens
- Do you get headaches or eye pain when you read or look at screens?
- Do words move, jump, run together, or appear to float on the page while reading?
- Do you skip or repeat words or lines while reading?
- Does your focus go in and out while looking at something?
- Do your eyes get tired faster than they should?
- Do you tilt your head or close an eye while reading or looking at screens?
- Do you hold books/screens too close to your eyes?
- Do you avoid or have a short attention span with near tasks like reading?
- Do you have to reread the same line of words when reading?
- Do you feel like you read slowly?
- Do you have double vision or shadowing of letters or words when reading or doing close work?
- Do you have trouble remembering what you read?
- Do you lose concentration when reading or doing close work?
- Do you misalign digits or columns of numbers?
- Do you write uphill or downhill or have trouble with sizing and spacing?
- Do you reverse numbers or letters like b and d or p and q (over age 6)?
- Do you have trouble copying from the board?
- Do you bump into things, knock things over, or feel clumsy?
- Do you get dizzy when moving or watching things move (ie cars, or TV shows)?
- Do you dislike or avoid busy environments?
- Do you have difficulty with balance?
General Academic Concerns
- Do you have poor interest in reading and school?
- Do you have poor reading comprehension?
- Does homework take longer than it should or are there big frustrations with homework?
- Do you have difficulty with attention, focus, or concentration?
- Do you feel you are not meeting your full potential?